New staff at Waldwick High School - Amanda Lentino (Language Arts)



It is my pleasure to introduce Amanda Lentino to the Waldwick community.  Ms. Lentino will be teaching English 9, English 10 & Journalism.  Ms. Lentino is going to be a great addition to the WHS Faculty.

I asked each new teacher to answer a few questions about themselves. 

Can you tell us a little bit about your background?

I am originally from Brooklyn, but I moved to New Jersey when I was six years old.  In high school, I ran cross country, indoor track and spring track, and I also played soccer.  I attended Ramapo College with a major in Literature and a minor in Psychology.  While at Ramapo, I had the opportunity to work as a writing tutor, a research assistant, and a supplemental instructor.  This past year, I taught 9th grade English at Indian Hills High School, and I also served as the assistant track coach.

What made you choose education as a career?

I knew since the seventh grade that I wanted to be an English teacher. At that time, my sister was applying to colleges, and she decided that she was going to become a high school history teacher.  This made me think about what I wanted to do in the future, and since I loved English class and had an amazing English teacher, I thought it would be a good career for me.  I always knew that I wanted to work with children, and this seemed to be the perfect fit.  While in college, I was fortunate enough to teach at-risk students through the Education Opportunity Fund program, and after my experience, I knew that I had chosen the correct career!

What appealed to you about Waldwick High School? 

When I first stepped foot into Waldwick, everyone was extremely welcoming.  I loved the small community and the hospitable work environment.  I was also impressed with the amount of collaboration that I saw among the teachers, and it was evident that they all truly cared about their students' learning.  I also liked that the middle school is connected to the high school.  I did my student teaching in a similar school setting, and it was great having such a strong relationship with the middle school.

Tell us something interesting about yourself?

I love to run and work out!  I am also a huge animal lover and if I weren't teaching, I would probably be working in an animal shelter or in a veterinarian's office.

Comments