New staff at Waldwick High School - Daniel Freeman (Social Studies)



It is my pleasure to introduce Daniel Freeman to the Waldwick community.  Mr. Freeman will be teaching World History, Principles of Economics and Civics. Mr. Freeman is going to be a great addition to the WHS Faculty.
I asked each new teacher to answer a few questions about themselves. 
Can you tell us a little bit about your background?

I grew up in Waldwick and attended Traphagen Elementary School, Waldwick Middle School and Waldwick High School before graduating in 2007. In high school, I played football, basketball and baseball.  I was involved in several clubs including Student Council and the Interact Club.  After high school, I attended Rowan University.  After graduating college, I taught at Williamstown High School for two years, where I coached baseball as well.

What made you choose education as a career?

Throughout high school, I had several educators who inspired me to become a teacher myself.  Some of these teachers include (but are not limited to) Mr. Opderbeck, Mrs. Orlak and Mr. Noschese. They were able to create a classroom environment that made history fun, regardless of the topic.  I looked forward to attending their classes, listening to their lectures and completing their projects. Eventually, I realized I wanted to be able to provide students with the same thing they provided me with - a fun and meaningful education.

What appealed to you about Waldwick High School? 

I have always loved Waldwick. In high school, when students would complain and announce their desire to leave town as soon as possible, I would proudly say that this is where I wanted to live when I grow up.  After all, my mother is from Waldwick and I have several aunts and uncles that still live in town. Waldwick is an incredibly close community and I knew I wanted to give back to the community that helped raise me.  In addition to this, I fell in love with Waldwick's educational philosophy and their desire to incorporate more technology into the learning process.

Tell us something interesting about yourself?

When I was a sophomore in college, I was able to study abroad at the National University of Ireland at Galway.  While abroad, I visited Northern Ireland, Scotland, England and spent ten days of my spring break seeing virtually all of Italy.  The experience instilled in me a love of cultures and a desire to continue traveling.


Comments