New Staff @ WHS - Cynthia Burmaster


It is my pleasure to introduce Cynthia Burmaster to the Waldwick community. Dr. Burmaster will be a great addition to our Science Department. This year she will be teaching Chemistry at the high school. We are very excited to welcome Dr. Burmaster to WHS.



Can you tell us a little about your background?
I was born in West Virginia and grew up in Kentucky. I graduated from Centre College in Danville Kentucky with a major in chemistry and a concentration in education. After graduating college, I worked a short time for Ashland Oil and from there I went on to receive a graduate degree in chemistry from the University of Georgia. I’ve worked in the pharmaceutical industry but then returned to Ramapo college to obtain a teaching certificate and pursue my lifelong desire to become a teacher.


What made you choose education as a career?
Fond memories of school at an early age led to my inspiration to teach. My mother taught in a public elementary school for 33 years as did my grandmother. Being nurtured in an environment of educators has definitely contributed to my interest in teaching. I am excited about this next journey of my career.


What appealed to you about Waldwick High School?
What appealed to me about Waldwick High School was the positive energy and interactions among staff and students - something I noticed the first time I entered the building. I knew right away that this was a community I wanted to be part of and that great things were happening at this school. I’m excited to be a part of Waldwick High School and I look forward to getting to know the students and working with them.


Tell us something interesting about yourself?
I love to be outdoors with my family as much as I can - hiking, boating, skiing, biking, and gardening to name a few. Another one of my favorite things to do is take our dog (Sammie) to the “Read to a Dog” program at a local library. Sammie loves it and the children who read to her are adorable!

Comments