New Staff @ WHS - Nicole DeMatteo



It is my pleasure to introduce Nicole DeMatteo to the Waldwick community. Ms. DeMatteo will be a great addition to our Nurse's Office. We are very excited to welcome Ms. DeMatteo to WHS.

Can you tell us a little about your background?
I was born in Hoboken and grew up in Upper Saddle River. I attended Northern Highlands for High School where I played flute in the marching band and was the drum major my senior year. I also was a basketball cheerleader. I then went on to Fairfield University where I majored in Nursing. I moved to Hoboken after college and started working for Hackensack University Medical Center as a Mother/Baby Nurse. I took my career, a few years later, into the schools after getting my school nurse certification from Felician University. I started working for Bayonne High School and then Hoboken Schools. Last year, I moved back to the area to Allendale and I am excited to be working so close to home.


What made you choose education as a career?
I chose to leave hospital nursing because I wanted to transition to public health. School Nurses never know what to expect when a child comes into the office and offers up what they have hurt, how they are feeling or what they want to talk about. I try to be that person of comfort and safety for my students and get to know them beyond their clinical complaints.


What appealed to you about Waldwick High School?
Besides the location, I was drawn to the idea that it was a High School position. The last four years, I have been working in an elementary setting but miss the high school population and was excited that one opened up. Waldwick is such a great small town that is full of hard working and loving people. I have told so many people about my new district and almost every person either went to the Waldwick Schools or knows someone who worked for the district and only has positive things to say and I am excited to be a part of the team.


Tell us something interesting about yourself?
Something about me is that I hate to talk about me. But I love to travel. If there is an opportunity to go somewhere, my bags are always packed and I strive for more passport stamps. I am a Jersey Shore girl and spend my summers there and winter long weekends in Florida. I don't know how to ski and really could do without winter once the holidays are over. I am extremely close to my family. I have a 13-year old chihuahua and my niece, who is 2, is my little bestie. I enjoy playing my piano, reading good murder mysteries, binging on Netflix and spending time with friends.

Comments