New Staff @ WHS - Melanie Moore


It is my pleasure to introduce Melanie Moore to the Waldwick community. Ms. Moore will be a great addition to our Counseling Center. This year she will be working with the freshmen to facilitate the transition into high school. We are very excited to welcome Ms. Moore to WHS in this new role.


Can you tell us a little about your background?
I grew up in Waldwick and recently returned in 2021 to make it my home once again. I attended Crescent Elementary School as well as Waldwick Middle School and High School. After graduating, I moved to Philadelphia where I attended La Salle University and earned my Bachelor's degree in Speech Language Hearing Science. Before attending grad school, I worked in the Ridgewood School District. As a result of that experience, I decided to earn my Master's Degree in School Counseling from Montclair State University instead. I worked as a School Counselor at Wood-Ridge Jr/Sr High School and Warren Middle School. This year will be my fifth year working as a School Counselor.


What made you choose education as a career?

I have always been involved in clubs and volunteer opportunities that revolved around helping others, especially working one-on-one. As I went through high school and college, I knew I wanted to pursue a career in a field that allowed me to do this. Although I originally planned to be a speech pathologist, working in a public school opened my eyes to the role of a school counselor. I saw the impact the school counselor had on my students, specifically the ones that faced challenges academically, personally and socially. It was then that I knew I could work best in that role. I pride myself on my ability to connect on a deeper level with others and love building a bond with my students to help them reach their full potential.


What appealed to you about Waldwick High School?
Waldwick is, and always will be, home to me. I love the town's tight-knit community, but what I love most of all is the school’s family feel and willingness to support one another. Although I have been away from Waldwick High School for some time, I still get the same family orientated feeling I did years ago. I am honored to be working in the place that helped shape who I am today and look forward to giving back.


Tell us something interesting about yourself?
I am a huge football fan, (specifically the Pittsburgh Steelers!), and love watching games with my family each week. I am in several fantasy football leagues and have even won myself few championships. In fact, I often operate as the Commissioner. What started off as something to keep up with all the men in my family, quickly became a fun hobby. In addition, I am in the beginning stages of learning sign language and plan to teach my eight month old daughter as well!

Comments