Congratulations to Senior Lauren Tom - Poetry Contest Winner


AWARD WINNERS (Peggy Larson WHS Bergen County Teacher of the Year)

Congratulations to Senior Lauren Tom for taking first place in the high school division of the Bergen County Teacher Recognition Program poetry contest.  Students across the county were asked to write poems about teachers who were influential in their lives or the topic of teaching.  Each school district then selected their top submissions per age group for evaluation. 

The winning poems will be placed in the program that will be distributed to all of the honorees at the Teacher Recognition luncheon in May and they will be read aloud. 


A Teacher

What do you expect from a stranger that we barely know?
Who tells us our dreams can be within reach,
And that we can do anything we want.

It’s always the same on the first day,
When high expectations are anticipated
And papers of assignments are piled high

Thank you for being different from the others
By creating a world where I would want to learn
Where I want to grow and become myself

Thank you for showing me what I can do
And sharing the possibilities with me,
That I didn’t even know existed

Thank you for inspiring me
With books and words that made me realize my passions
That will guide me forever

What do we expect from a stranger that we barely know?
Who tells us our dreams can be within reach?
Everything.



Comments