New Staff at WHS - Heather Ruiz


It is my pleasure to introduce Heather Ruiz to the Waldwick community.  Ms. Ruiz will be filling in for Mrs. Kabobjian (Ms. Hart) while she is out on maternity leave. Ms. Ruiz will be teachinWorld History for the STRIDES program as well as Academic Support.  We are very excited to have Ms. Ruiz be a part of WHS. 

Can you tell us a little about your background? 
I grew up in Waldwick and went to Traphagen Elementary. I also attended Waldwick Middle School and graduated from Waldwick High School in 2008. During high school I was Captain of the Volleyball Team and a thrower for the Spring Track Team. I went to Montclair State University and studied History and African American Studies and got my Masters in Social Studies and Special Education from Saint Thomas Aquinas College. In the fall of 2014 I was a student teacher here at Waldwick High School and have been working as a Collaborative Aide at Traphagen for the past year.

What made you choose education as a career?
Ever since I was a student here at Waldwick High School, I have enjoyed learning. The teachers here were able to create meaningful lessons that students enjoyed. Their knowledge and passion for teaching inspired me to become a teacher and I wanted to create a successful learning environment like them. There is something very rewarding about being able to help others and watch them succeed.

What appealed to you about Waldwick High School?
I have always loved living in Waldwick. The community might be small, but everyone is very active and involved. I was drawn to the high school because I would get to work with some of the best teachers I know and continue to learn from them. I am also intrigued by all of the new technology in the classroom and the resources available to students and teachers.

Tell us something interesting about yourself?
Even though I am a certified History teacher now, I was actually a Physical Education (movement) teacher at a Pre School in Ridgewood for six years during college and graduate school.


Comments