One Special Day @ WHS


This past Friday was one of my top five days all time as an educator!  Let me explain ...

You see, as a Principal I try each and everyday to make sure my students, teachers and staff feel valued, respected and cared about at our school. I write notes, send cards, handout out pins, give high fives, listen and most importantly talk with everyone to let them know I care.


This year I started a new tradition at Waldwick High School, the Ownit Award. The Ownit Award @ WHS is a framed picture signed by every staff member as a commitment to "Be Present" for our students at WHS. Staff members, students and parents can all nominate someone that they feel went above and beyond.

I never imagined this framed picture would have such an amazing impact on our school, but it has. Students, teachers, staff, parents are all sharing with me amazing stories and examples of why certain individuals should receive the award. Letting people know their actions matter and are appreciated is pretty special.



So far this year I have had the privilege of handing out the award to six amazing individuals. See link for past winners. Ownit Award Winners

Last week our Assistant Principal Mr. Clancy and I were talking about the Ownit Award and he mentioned that he received a nomination and wanted to present the award at the Spirit Rally on Friday. To my surprise he presented the award to me in front of the entire student body and staff and read the following, which was written by a senior:

Mr. Carroll has been nominated by countless students and staff for the OwnIt Award. He is the definition of being present and embodies the characteristics that he is encouraging through the development of this award. Mr. Carroll always takes time to ask how your day is and how you’re doing when he sees you in the halls, no matter how busy he appears. He has worked very hard on the new block schedule and all of the accommodations in the building to support the common lunch and encourage students to relax and collaborate. Mr. Carroll supports staff and students to pursue their passions and take risks in order to grow and learn everyday. He is the single most present person at WHS and we are all lucky to have him as our Principal. Personally, I believe Mr. Carroll has been everyone’s number one fan since the day they step foot into this building. Mr. Carroll has been a huge part of my 4 years at Waldwick and so has his inspiration to #own everything you do and being present for everything you do. My warrior pin hangs high as a constant reminder that through Mr. Carroll and the environment he set forth at WHS I have grown and am ready to face what lies beyond High School. I’m very proud to have been a member of WarriorNation, and I wouldn't have wanted to have gone to high school anywhere else. You deserve this because you #OwnIt, and you always will.

I was blown away by what was written and then to hear the students cheer …....
We got Carroll …. We got Carroll - it was pretty special!

I am not writing this post to brag that I received this award; I am writing this to share with other teachers, educators and leaders that PEOPLE are the single most important part of our jobs.
Be true to who you are and let your students, teachers, staff members know you care about them and want to see them be the best they can be in life. Being an educator is not about an evaluation score, test data, report cards or the curriculum, it's about PEOPLE and the RELATIONSHIPS you create.

I love my job! I love this school and our amazing community! It’s a honor to be the Principal of Waldwick High School!  

Thank you Waldwick HS for honoring me with the Ownit Award.  

Comments