New Staff @ WHS - Joseph Betts




It is my pleasure to introduce Joseph Betts to the Waldwick community. Mr. Betts is our leave replacement Athletic Trainer and we are very excited to have him as part of WHS. 

Can you tell us a little bit about your background?
I was born in Staten Island, New York where I lived until I was 8 years old. I then moved to Freehold, New Jersey and continued to play and watch all sports. As I grew up I focused on hockey, playing for club teams and my high school. I then moved on to Rowan University where I majored in Athletic Training and continued to play hockey for the school my freshman and sophomore year. After I graduated I worked as an Athletic Trainer for Premier Sports Medicine.


What made you choose Education as a career?
When I was in High School I always had a great support system around me, made up by teachers and coaches. I always knew I wanted to work with students and be a role model like the people I had in my life. When it came time for college, I looked into Athletic Training, which included a little of all the things I enjoyed, science, sports, and helping people. Once I started my first class, I knew this was the job for me.


What appealed to you about Waldwick High School?

During my first residency at Rowan University I was placed at a small Group 1 school, where everyone was kind, supportive, and provided a great work environment. This is when I knew working in the High School setting was the right fit for me, compared to colleges and professional teams. When I came to Waldwick High School, I got that same feeling that reminded me of why I chose this profession.

Tell us something interesting about yourself? 

At the beginning of my junior year at Rowan University I stopped playing hockey to focus on my clinical hours for Athletic Training. That winter I decided to get back into skiing with my friends from school, even though they are all snowboarders. From that point it became one of my biggest passions. Now, every winter my college friends and I continue to travel all over to ski and snowboard. Something that will keep us together for life.

Comments