New staff at Waldwick High School - Amanda Fernicola (Social Studies)





It is my pleasure to introduce Amanda Fernicola to the Waldwick community. Ms. Fernicola will be teaching US History 2 and World History.  Ms. Fernicola is going to be a great addition to the WHS Faculty.

I asked each new teacher to answer a few questions about themselves. 

Can you tell us a little bit about your background?

I was born in California and moved to New Jersey when I was about 2 years old.  I grew up in East Hanover, NJ with my mom, dad, younger sister and dog named Champ.  I went to Montclair State for my undergraduate degree in History and Secondary Education.  I graduated in 2011 and have been teaching since then.  I am currently enrolled at Ramapo College of New Jersey for my masters in Educational Technology.



What made you choose education as a career?
When I was in 8th grade I had a teacher who created WWI trenches in our classroom and really made history come alive.  One day the room was extremely hot and the next extremely cold in order to simulate how the soldiers would be exposed to all types of weather while trying to fight in a war.  Since then I knew that I wanted to teach history and give the same experience for my students.  I couldn't be happier that I decided to become a teacher because it is truly one of the most rewarding professions.

What appealed to you about Waldwick High School? 
I was drawn to Waldwick High School because of the small community that the district is based in.  It is clear by speaking with others within the community that the district cares very much about student achievement and strives to ensure that each student graduates and is ready for either college or the work force.  Waldwick's integration of technology also was another reason why I was drawn to the district.  The use of the SMART boards within the classroom will enhance student learning immensely.

Tell us something interesting about yourself?
I like to scrapbook pictures from all of the different experiences I've had.

Comments