New Staff at WHS - Jessie Wohlberg


Jessie Wohlberg - Foreign Language (Spanish) 

I asked each new staff member to answer a few questions about themselves.  

Can you tell us a little bit about your background?
I came to live in the United States when I was 9 years old from The Dominican Republic. We settled in Paterson, NJ, where we had other relatives. My parents did not have enough money to put me and my two siblings through college so I decided to pursue a career in hairstyling, which was more affordable to us. I wished for a life in a more quieter area than the city of Paterson had to offer and decided to find my own apartment in Lodi. After a few years as a hairstylist, I was able to put myself through college. I started at Bergen Community College and later on transferred my credits to William Paterson University, where I completed my undergraduate studies.  I also completed a Minor in English Literature.

What made you choose Education as a career?
I was very fortunate to have amazing teachers that were very inspiring to me. I feel that they have made a significant difference in my life in different ways. I am very thankful to them for guiding me in the direction that my life and career have taken. They taught me to value myself, think for myself and make smart decisions for myself. I wanted to be like some of them, especially my 3rd grade Bilingual teacher, Mrs. Fuentes. I want to be able to touch students in a positive way and teach them everything that I know about the Spanish language, culture and general life experiences

What appealed to you about Waldwick High School?
I have lived in North Haledon for the past ten years now. My husband and I like to drive around other towns and neighborhoods because we want to move to the Bergen County area. We have relatives in Midland Park and Wyckoff and have passed through the town of Waldwick many times. It was always interesting to me that the Middle School and the High School share the same building. It gave me a feeling that the school community is indeed one family and it speaks of the strong unity between students, staff and administrators. I have heard nothing but positive feedback from other people in the community about Waldwick High School and the district in general.

Tell us something interesting about yourself?
Something interesting about myself is that I have a wonderful husband, two lovely children, and a Persian cat!

Comments