New Staff @ WHS - Audrey Donahue


It is my pleasure to introduce Audrey Donahue to the Waldwick community.  Ms. Donahue will be a great addition to our Physical Education and Health Department. We are very excited to have her part of WHS.


Can you tell us a little bit about your background?

I grew up in River Vale, New Jersey and attended Pascack Valley High School. I was a competitive gymnast for 10 years and a member of my high school's varsity gymnastics team for 4 years. I went to Bloomsburg University in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania where I majored in Exercise Science. I then went on to earn my Master of Arts in Teaching Degree for Physical Education at Manhattanville College in Purchase, New York. Throughout my last year of high school and four years of college, I worked as a personal trainer and gymnastics instructor/coach. During my two years of graduate school, I also gained experience through substitute teaching at my hometown high school district.


What made you choose Education as a career?

From the time I was 14 years old, I was always working with children at my gymnastics gym, helping out with coaching and instructing recreational classes. I loved it and received a lot of positive feedback from students, parents and other coaches. During my time in high school, I had a physical education teacher who became one of my favorite teachers during my four years at the school. Not only did she create a fun and enjoyable class, but she also offered her own wisdom of experiences from high school, athletics and typical life situations. This teacher is a big part of the reason I chose physical education as my career, and I can only hope that I may be able to influence a student the same way she positively influenced me. I truly love being a teacher and I cannot imagine working in any other profession!


What appealed to you about Waldwick High School?

I was born and raised in a small Bergen County town, and I loved every minute of my experience in my community and school system. Waldwick reminds me very much of my hometown in the sense that the school and community, including parents, teachers, students, administrators and other individuals work together to deliver the best possible education and experience for the students of Waldwick. When I first began working in the Waldwick School District back in March, I quickly bonded with the students and appreciated how helpful and supportive the administration and staff were. I am extremely grateful and excited to have been given the opportunity to work in the high school this year.


Tell us something interesting about yourself?

I was a competitive gymnast for 10 years, beginning my career at 8 years old. I earned First Team All-County during all 4 years of my varsity career in high school, along with All-League and All-State honors. I also played volleyball in middle school.

Comments