New Staff @ WHS - Kevin Rutz



It is my pleasure to introduce Kevin Rutz to the Waldwick community. Mr. Rutz will be a great addition to our Related Arts Department as a Technology teacher. We are very excited to have him as part of WHS.


Can you tell us a little bit about your background?
I was born and raised in Toms River, NJ and I always filled the role of handyman for my family. I would build, install and fix anything that needed repair. I played football and tennis, sang in chorus and acted throughout high school. I began my college career at Ocean County College and completed my Bachelor's Degree in interdisciplinary business at TCNJ (the College of New Jersey). I returned to school for Technology Education and received my MAT in Technology Education as part of the Woodrow Wilson Fellowship.


What made you choose Education as a career?
I originally earned a degree in Business, but was never satisfied with being behind a desk all day. Going back to my roots, I would spend my free time tinkering with new programs, learning about electricity, building stuff, or whatever else I could get my hands on. My friends and family saw my gravitation towards technology and my natural ability to engage and help others and recommended I pursue technology education.  After shadowing a few teachers and substituting, I loved having the experience of showing others how to do the things that excite me. I enjoy interacting with others and helping in any way I can. Teaching is a great fit for me and I'm happy with the work I get to do!


What appealed to you about Waldwick High School?

I was drawn to Waldwick by the caring community and active drive to make learning better for everyone. Through learning about the district, I got the sense that everyone was on the same team to support one another - not only academically! I also admired how changes were being implemented to actively improve the regular school day. I feel Waldwick has its priorities straight and I wanted to become a part of it.


Tell us something interesting about yourself? 

I taught myself to play the concertina (just enough to play around)!

Comments