New Staff @ WHS - Lois Gray



It is my pleasure to introduce Lois Gray to the Waldwick community. Mrs. Gray is our new school nurse and we are very excited to have her as part of WHS.

Can you tell us a little bit about your background?
I grew up in Clifton with four sisters and one brother. I have lived in Waldwick for 21 years with my husband and our three children. I received my Nursing Degree from Ramapo College, the year my oldest graduated from high school. I continued my education at Felician University where I received my School Nurse Certification and a Masters in Education. I also received my Supervisory Certification from St. Peter's University last year. I have been a school nurse for almost nine years.


What made you choose Education as a career?
I began my nursing career after my daughter was born with the goal to become a nurse-midwife. I returned to school and after I graduated with my BSN, I worked at Hackensack University Medical Center in the Mother/Baby Department. During that time I decided that midwifery was not for me. I left HUMC when my youngest child was born & became a stay-at-home mom for three years. An opportunity came up for a school nurse position in Garfield. My husband and I thought it was a good time to go back to work and I became the school nurse at Abraham Lincoln School #6, which I have enjoyed for the last 8-1/2 years.


What appealed to you about Waldwick High School?

Two of my children have already graduated from Waldwick High School and as a parent, I have seen how caring and dedicated the school community is to their students by encouraging and being supportive, in both difficult situations and in their successes. I want to be part of that.


Tell us something interesting about yourself?
I ran my first Spartan Sprint at Citi Field last year with two of my sisters and will again with them this year. The sprint is more than three miles long with more than 20 obstacles to get through. In the Fall, I will be running the Tunnel to Towers 5K in NYC, which retraces the final footsteps of Steven Siller, a firefighter who was killed on 9/11.

Comments