Welcome Ericka O'Hara to Warrior Nation

disparky.Welcome.Digital Image.Flickr.Yahoo! http://goo.gl/HPCrIN

Ericka O'Hara - Science 

I asked each new teacher to answer a few questions about themselves:

Can you tell us a little bit about your background? 
I grew up in Waldwick and graduated WHS. Then I attended Ramapo College and earned a degree in biochemistry.  After, I worked in vaccines research at Pfizer before coming back home to Waldwick to teach.  I have always had a great sense of wonder about all things science, but love the physical sciences most of all.  I have always had a great deal of pride for my hometown and Alma Mater and am lucky to once again be a part of the community at WHS.

What made you choose education as a career?
I originally set out to get my teaching degree in college thinking that I would teach right away, but I decided that I wanted to see things from the inside of the laboratory first. When I worked at the lab, the only thing I really discovered was that I was meant to be in the classroom after all. After my first demo lesson at Waldwick, I knew that I was making the right decision for me,  I was hooked! The amazing educators that I was lucky enough to have at Waldwick were the reason I ever even wanted to teach and I feel as though I learned more from them than any classroom could have ever taught me.

What appealed to you about Waldwick High School? 
Waldwick appealed to me for the obvious reasons of comfort and familiarity, but it continues to keep me because of the supportive and friendly environment filed with wonderful helpful people who make everyday better and make me a better teacher than I feel I would be anywhere else.

Tell us something interesting about yourself?
I am a bit of a homebody, especially since the arrival of my son, but the place I am happiest in the world is the beach.  I love to cook, especially bake (reminds me of chemistry), and I crochet and play guitar when I have the time. Up until the birth of my son, my proudest moment was being the first person in my family to graduate college. I am also a twin, which I never thought was a cool thing until I was older,  but we are such good friends now that I feel so lucky to have her.

Comments