New Staff at Waldwick High School - Christina McCann (Language Arts)

I asked each new staff member to answer a few questions about themselves.  

Christina McCann – Language Arts



Can you tell us a little bit about your background?
I grew up in Wallington during my elementary and middle school years and then moved to New Milford   where I attended New Milford High School. I played softball, volleyball, basketball, soccer and ran cross  country. I was also Sports Editor in the school newspaper.  I went to Ramapo College where I majored in Literature and minored in Psychology.  I taught at Fort Lee High School for two years. And I teach students from Newark and Paterson in an Upward Bound Program over the summer.

What made you choose Education as a career?
When I was in High School I had two teachers, Mrs. DePoto and Mr. Shaw, who always told me they thought I should be an English teacher. I enjoyed reading and the educational environment. I thrived from the discussion and intellectual stimulation of the class. Keeping their advice in the back of my mind, I decided to major in Literature and get my teaching certification. My sophomore year I was accepted into a Peer  Facilitation program for my Psychology field work where I would be teaching a Freshmen Seminar class at Ramapo College. I absolutely loved it and was positive that I had chosen the correct profession. I still  keep in touch with my old teachers and thank them often for directing me to a career that I love.

What appealed to you about Waldwick High School?
I was drawn to Waldwick's small community and views of technology in the classroom. Waldwick High School is a small community, filled with kind, caring and educated people. From the moment I stepped into the building, people were welcoming me and offering encouragement. The entire staff is sincerely dedicated to the well being and education of the students. In a new day and age of technology, Waldwick adapts and embraces the new possibilities with open arms and an open mind by incorporating SMART technology and utilizing electronic resources.

Tell us something interesting about yourself?
Some interesting things about myself are that I ride a Honda CBR 600RR motorcycle and play softball and volleyball.

Comments