New Staff at Waldwick High School - Melissa Kahn (Special Services)

I asked each new staff member to answer a few questions about themselves.  



Melissa Kahn - Special Services
Can you tell us a little bit about your background?
I grew up in Haworth, NJ about 25 minutes from Waldwick. My family consists of my father who is a CPA, my mother who does book keeping, my sister who is a publicist in entertainment, and my brother-in-law who is a lawyer. I went to Northern Valley Demarest High School, Muhlenberg College for my undergraduate degree in History, and Felician College for my Masters Degree in Education.

After I graduated from Muhlenberg, I went to work at the Alpine Learning Group for 6 years. I learned to teach individuals with Autism using the principles of ABA (Applied Behavior Analysis).

What made you choose Education as a career?
Believe it or not, I have always wanted to be a teacher.  Ever since I was in Kindergarten, I dreamed of being a teacher. Until I graduated college, I always thought I wanted to be a general education teacher. However, I came to see the light of the special education realm, and have made it my life's goal to teach students with special needs.

What appealed to you about Waldwick High School?
Waldwick High School appealed to me for a number of reasons. One thing I really like about WHS is that it is a small school. Class sizes are going to be manageable and the faculty gets to know all the students and other staff members.  WHS also appealed to me because of the initiation to start a self-contained special education program, where life skills are a major focus.

Tell us something interesting about yourself?
I play dodgeball with some coworkers in the middle school.

Comments